Throwback playlist


Ebo Taylor




In one of my favourite vintage shops in Utrecht. earnestly looking through their rack of denim jacket to find my size. I was intent on finding one in order to put a stop to my frequent visits which was synonymous to wastefulness. My persistence paid off, I found one, a good fitted wrangler denim jacket in dark blue stonewash. Whilst looking through the rack this beautiful piece of instrumental, classic old school authentic sounds, playing in the background caught my attention. I wasn't as surprise to hear that in the shop as it fitted well with their aesthetic, as I was when I heard the singing I recognised the language. I could not make out entirely what he was singing about but I could understand some of the words. I thought I heard a man singing in Twi or Fanti, maybe not! So to clarify that I asked the shop assistant about the music, if it was been played on the radio. It was on their playlist and she kindly wrote down the name of the artist and the title of the song for me. 

When I got home I googled the artist, Ebo Taylor a legendary Ghanaina guitarist and a friend of Fela Kuti . His carreer has span over four decades. I listened to some of his songs and realised that I knew a few not knowing it was him at the time and not only that, he had also played recently in Utrecht. I can't believe I missed that. I have been hooked on his songs and I've had them on replay since I rediscovered them.  I definitely see some of his influence in the genre of Ghanaian music that I like. from Kojo Antwi to Amakye dede. They might not have been influenced by him musically but for the purpose of this post I will give him the honorary title as the godfather of Highlife music


Gill Scott-Heron memorialised
aka godfather of rap
This revolution will not be televised. 
The poet who had elegance with words "the right man at the right time with the right words" 


Daughter Gia eulogised him:
"so though your demise was publicised
this new revolution will be televised 
both of are dreams are already realised
just like in the album realise
 I realise that I am forever yours 
your daughter for all time"







1 comment:

  1. Great find there. The last time I came across music I heard in a store that I had to pick up was here a track from Massive Attack’s Heligoland. I didn’t know it was Massive Attack, I just recognised Martini Topley Bird’s beautifully soothing voice backed by this bone-tingling bass and knew I had to find that song.

    Gill Scott-Heron’s music is timeless. May he rest in peace.

    Here’s some tunes you might like too:

    Lonnie Smith - Expansions

    Archie Bell and Bells - Tighten Up

    Funky Nassau - Beginning of the End

    McKinley Mitchell - The Town I Live In

    ReplyDelete